Course 4 - AVOIDING REGRETTABLE SUBSTITUTES WITH GREENSCREEN®: reduce risks with safer alternatives by using rigorous and scientifically robust hazard assessment tools such as GreenScreen®
Identifying chemicals to avoid is typically an early step in proactive chemicals management. However, once you have identified the chemicals you want to reduce or eliminate from your products and/or supply chain, how do you avoid regrettable substitutes? You want to ensure that your investment of time and resources to replace a chemical will bring you returns and value to your organization and brands.
At the end of this course participants will be able to:
- Use GreenScreen® for Safer Chemicals to evaluate and compare the hazards of alternatives to chemicals of concern, with the goal of avoiding regrettable substitutes.
- Understand how companies are using GreenScreen to identify safer alternatives.
- Describe how GreenScreen has been incorporated into standards for the building products and electronics sectors.
- Apply GreenScreen in answering alternatives assessment-related questions in the Chemical Footprint Project Survey.
- Class 1 – Understanding the GreenScreen® for Safer Chemicals: Learn about the GreenScreen method for assessing chemical hazard, the 18 hazard endpoints considered, and the GreenScreen Benchmark rubric.
- Class 2 – Advancing safer alternatives with GreenScreen: Learn how hazard assessment tools can be used to prioritize, screen, and assess potential alternatives; and how alternatives assessment is woven into the CFP Survey. Hear about success stories from organizations in various sectors that have successfully identified and implemented safer alternatives.
- Class 3 – Gaining recognition with GreenScreen: Walk through steps to conducting your own hazard assessment of alternatives and learn about resources and options to successfully complete the process. Learn how a wide range of stakeholders are using GreenScreen to gain recognition with standards and Eco labels.