McDonough Braungart’s Positive List
This design consultancy promotes Ecological Effectiveness and the design of materials that mimic the natural ecology. Bill McDonough and Michael Braungart’s recently published Cradle to Cradle, promotes two lists, an X List and Positive List. The X List includes problematic chemicals, such as carcinogens and reproductive toxins, that should be phased out immediately. The Preferred List includes materials that are safe and healthy to use.
McDonough and Braungart use the following criteria to determine whether or not a material should be excluded from or added to the P List:
- Acute oral or inhalative toxicity
- Chronic toxicity
- Whether the substance is a strong sensitizer
- Whether the substance is a known or suspected carcinogen, mutagen, teratogen, or endocrine disruptor
- Whether the substance is know or suspected to be bioaccumulative
- Toxicity to water and soil organisms
- Potential for ozone-layer depletion
- Whether all byproducts meet the same criteria
The P list is due for public release. Stay tuned.
For more information, visit Bill McDonough’s and Michael Braungart’s website